The Benefits Administrator is responsible for planning and managing the day-to-day operations of Christy’s group benefits programs (including group health, dental, vision, short-term and long-term disability, worker’s compensation, life insurance, travel and accident, 401(k) plan, etc.). They will provide excellent customer service, communicate plan information to employees, investigate new benefits programs, improve existing programs, and monitor benefits administration. This is a full-time exempt position. Most work is during normal business hours, but the position will require some travel to other sites, meetings with shift workers from time to time, and occasional evening and weekend work as job duties demand.
Reports to: Jim Spellmeyer, CFO
Direct Reports: None
- Research employee benefits plans and vendors to provide recommendations to the CFO
- Research and recommend new benefits programs
- Examine possible plan design changes and their impact on benefits costs
- Negotiate with vendors for best plans, options, and rates
- Serve as primary contact for plan vendors and third-party administrators
- Coordinate transfer of data to external contacts for services and plan administration
- Work with our Communication Consultant to develop effective campaigns and systems to help team members fully utilize available benefits for their short- and long-term gain
- Evaluate internal processes to reduce costs and increase efficiency
- Document and maintain administrative procedures for assigned benefits processes
- Ensure compliance (timeliness and accuracy) with applicable government regulations
- Perform plan audits
- Handle benefit enrollments, COBRA, terminations, and claims
- Oversee maintenance of group benefits database and update employee payroll records
- Provide customer service support to internal and external customers
- Develop communication tools to enhance understanding of the company’s benefits package.
- Design and distribute materials for benefits orientations and open enrollment
- Occasional travel required
Position related detail:
- Subject to pre-employment medical exam, background check, and substance-abuse screen
- Must comply with company policies including those in the Employee Handbook
- Must have a general love of learning and continuous self-improvement
Education, Skills and Experience:
- Preferred – SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP and CEBS professional designations
- Three to five years employee benefits administration experience in lieu of benefits education or certification
- Computer proficiency, knowledge of IPS payroll preferred
- Project management skills
- Ability to manage several complex tasks simultaneously
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills
- Knowledge of benefits contract language
- Knowledge of relevant federal and state regulations and filing requirements
- Excellent communication skills
- Maintain absolute confidentiality
- Have a deep passion for continuous learning and self-improvement
- Have superior critical thinking and decision-making skills, personality traits and common sense
- Able to work with little supervision
- Work with administration staff, and at times, all employees
- Inspire confidence and full trust in their fellow staff
The Christy companies have been making and distributing industrial products and services since being founded by the Christy family in 1922. Today, our vision is to create an environment that encourages employees to dream and grow while we work together to support top industrial producers in virtually all of modern society’s basic industries. Our customers (in over 40 countries on every continent except Antarctica – yet) make pottery, steel, aluminum, copper, electric power, fertilizer, plastic, glass and many other products that feed, fuel and equip the world.
Christy Industrial Holdings manages the personnel development, benefit plan administration, recruiting, engineering, legal, accounting, banking and other needs of the five Christy operating companies, enabling each of them to succeed for their customers and employees.
A Player Definition:
Christy defines an “A” Player as someone who more than pays for themselves within one year of employment. “A” Players’ attitudes, behaviors and performance are a model of The Christy Way. They are passionate about achieving success for themselves and those around them, embrace change, take initiative, don’t make excuses, are highly coachable, intellectually curious and lifelong learners. They are a pleasure to work with but are not afraid to express their opinions and confront issues head on in a constructive manner. We expect “A” Players to make mistakes, admit it when they do and learn from the experience. They not only meet the requirements of the position description they were hired for, but they improve Christy’s efficiency, technology, products, markets and sales and are able to grow. If they serve in a management role, they successfully recruit and develop a team of “A” players which achieves their goals without excuses. They hold others accountable for the above and ask others to hold them accountable.
This position description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by this position. However, it is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.